Powdersville is conveniently located at the northern tip of Anderson County in South Carolina, 8 miles Southwest of the largest city in the region, Greenville. Since it is unincorporated, its boundaries are not well defined; however, It is surrounded by Pickens County (Northwest Border) the Saluda River (Northeast border) and Interstate 85 (Southeast border). Powdersville can be accessed from Interstate 85, a six-lane highway, via exits 39 and 40.
Once known mainly as a farming community, Powdersville has shown unprecedented growth incorporating a multitude of housing subdivisions and businesses along Highway 153.
According to the United States Census Bureau:
- Total: 14.0 sq mi
- Land: 13.9 sq mi
- Water: 0.1 sq mi
- Population (2010)
- Total: 7,618
- Density: 549/sq mi
History – How Powdersville Got its Name
There are several theories based mostly off of local legend on how Powdersville got its name.
- The Powdersville Area General Stores sold gunpowder. You could see the powder spread on the ground about town. When travelers would enter the area they would see the gunpowder and say, “This must be Powdersville.”
- The Powdersville area was used to store gunpowder during the Civil War, thus giving it the name.
- The area was a stopping point for lady travelers to “Powder” their nose.
The Powdersville Community
- Powdersville’s Convenient location makes it easy to commute to Greenville, Easley, or Anderson.
- Consists of good schools (Anderson County School District 1) where both the parents and the teachers take an interest in your child’s education (No I am not a teacher — just one of those interested parents).
- Powdersville is one of the few areas near Greenville where you can still buy a house with a large lot.
- Small town hospitality – While Powdersville is growing rapidly, it has that small town feeling where you can walk down the street and people call you by name.
Since Powdersville is in Anderson County, residents pay Anderson County taxes. However, most of the phone service in the area uses a Greenville exchange. In late 2008, the U.S. Postal Service began allowing “Powdersville” to be used for mail delivery in the 29611 (Greenville), 29642 (Easley) and 29673 (Piedmont) ZIP codes. There is a satellite post office in the Highway 81 Plaza shopping center.